In current times, one of the most promising innovations in the field of surgical dentistry is the use of platelet-rich fibrin (PRF). Used alone or as an additive with other biomaterials, it accelerates the healing mechanism of the tissue and reduces the inflammation.
Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) has been used in regenerative medicine and dentistry. The usage of PRF has reported significant advantages because it enhances osteoprogenitor cells in the host bone and bone graft. The PRF protocol in oral and maxillofacial surgery was introduced to improve bone healing in implant dentistry and its application in various disciplines of dentistry.
A French surgeon named Dr. Joseph Choukroun first realized when he performed facial surgeries that PRF accelerates healing. This technique is now recognized as an effective treatment to promote healing during dental surgery and tooth extraction. Choukroun’s PRF centrifuge system permits us to extract blood, separate platelets and growth factors, and add the powerhouse grouping back into your body.
What is Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF?)
Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) substance is a by-product of blood (plasma) that is rich in platelets. PRF, in short, is simply a byproduct of blood. It is exceptionally high in platelets and growth factors —the “signaling” molecules that allow communication between cells.
PRF is a tool that significantly improves bone and soft tissue regeneration. Recently, its use has been advocated for regenerative periodontics and wound healing.
What is the use of Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF)?
- Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) has been known to have several properties that aid in healing and regeneration.
- PRF membrane aids in the treatment of periodontal infrabony defects. It shields open wounds from the oral environment when the suture cannot bind the mucosal margins.
- PRF, in conjunction with freeze-dried bone allograft (FDBA), improves bone regeneration in a maxillary sinus lift procedure. There is a considerably decreased healing time before implant placement.
- PRF may act as a biologic cement to hold the particles together, aiding the manipulation of the bone grafts.
- PRF considerably enhances new bone formation compared to healing without PRF
- PRF membrane as a sole grafting material is used to succeed maxillary sinus floor augmentation.
- PRF membrane helps in wound curing, protecting the surgical procedures aiding soft tissue repair, and when mixed with bone graft, it may act as a “biological connector.”
- Platelet-rich fibrin is a blood concentrate system that is used for soft tissue and bone tissue regeneration.
Advantages of using Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF)
- PRF is safe and fast since it is a by-product of the patient’s blood. Therefore, disease transmission is not an issue. During the outpatient surgical procedure, a lesser amount of your blood is drawn out via the IV. This blood is placed in the PRF centrifuge machine and spun down. In less than fifteen minutes, the PRF is formed and ready to use.
- PRF is quick and conveniently produced in the doctor’s office while the patient is experiencing an outpatient surgical procedure, like as the placement of dental implants and others.
- The supersaturating of the wound with PRF, and thus growth factors, produces an increase of tissue synthesis and therefore faster tissue regeneration and quicker healing.
- The patient does not incur the expenditure of the harvesting technique in a hospital or at the blood bank for PRF. It is cost-effective and safe.
- One of the main advantages of PRF is a minimally invasive technique with low risks and satisfactory clinical results such as preventing complications or implant failure, particularly in elderly patients for age-related conditions.
- PRF has many clinical applications like the Bone grafting for dental implants includes Onlays and inlays grafts, ridge augmentation procedures, and closure of cleft, lip and palate defects, sinus lift procedures. PRP helps the body to take advantage of the standard healing paths at a greatly enhanced rate; the body rushes numerous cells, and cell-types to the wound to initiate the healing process.
- It helps in restoration of bone defects crafting minor cysts or by extraction of teeth/tooth.
Disadvantages of using Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF)
- The realization of the PRF protocol depends directly on the handling of mainly the time the blood is collected and the transference for the centrifuge. The final amount available may be low because it is autologous blood.
- It only needs more than the minimal experience of the clinician for PRF manipulation. Patients with bleeding disorders or hematologic diseases do not qualify for this in-office procedure. You will need an experienced surgeon/physician to determine if PRP is right for you.
How does Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) work?
A small quantity of blood is taken from the patient and then placed into the PRF centrifuge machine, where the blood is separated into red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. In a tooth extraction treatment or other dental procedure, PRF adds fortified blood back into the body and promotes healing in the site where it is most necessary. The grouping of platelets and growth factors have regenerative capabilities, and the healing of hard and soft tissue is observed to be faster and help the patient recover faster after tooth extraction.
In dentistry, during dental surgery, the Jaw bone is exposed and cleaned. Jawbone has very little blood supply associated with other tissues in the body. Tissue where there is a reduced amount of blood, the body has reduced the capability to heal well and less defense against bacterial and fungal infection. The extraction sites are commonly left to heal naked and open to the oral cavity without PRF. Throughout extraction site healing, saliva, bacteria, and other contaminants pour down into vulnerable jaw bone. Platelet and fibrin-rich therapies when they are placed into extraction sockets, the treatment protects the site from infection. It also enriches the area with proteins and growth factors that promote new bone growth. In sections implants are positioned, PRF occupies the space between the bony socket and the dental implant. Dental implant sites with fibrin-platelet therapy have increased surgical success rates and decrease bacterial infection rates in the bone.
PRF centrifuge treatment is available at Implant Pro Center (IPC), San Francisco. Please Feel free to call or get in touch with us to schedule your free consultation.
Other Dental and Clinical applications of Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF)
- In periodontal bone defects
- Osteitis decrease found in surgical sites of the third molars
- In gingival graft
- In multiple removals to preserve the alveolar ridge height
- Bone regeneration around immediate implants
- Inside the alveolar defect
- PRF clots are directly used to fill cavities and in the tissue form.
- For small Otologic surgery, PRF is useful.
Platelet-rich fibrin is the new thing when it comes to surgery. With improved healing and immune support, an operation can have quicker and better healing, with fewer post-op complications. Recently, platelet-rich fibrin seems to be an accepted minimally invasive technique with low risks and satisfactory clinical results. Platelets’ coagulator properties make them great candidates for healing on a larger scale. Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) is a healing biomaterial with excellent probable for bone and soft tissues regeneration. Deprived of any inflammatory reactions and may be used alone or in grouping with bone grafts, bone growth, promoting hemostasis, and progress. PRF appears as a natural and reasonable aid in regenerative bone surgery in elderly patients with favorable results and low risks.
At Implants Pro Center™, San Francisco, we accept all major dental and medical PPO insurances, thereby reducing your worry about the cost of dental implant treatment or any oral surgeries. We also have a tremendously experienced and caring staff who will provide life-long care, maintenance, and support. Implants Pro Center™, San Francisco, is also equipped with all the modern technologies like CT-Scan, Intravenous Sedation, Platelet Rich Fibrin, etc. to provide nothing less than the best of services. You will be completely at ease with any of dental procedure. Feel free to get in touch with us to schedule a consultation.